MDCN ASL2400 Spring 2013
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

asl SYNTAX

3 posters

Go down

asl SYNTAX Empty asl SYNTAX

Post  Ann Neufeld001 Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:07 pm

ASL's origins come from France, and therefore seems to have similar syntax rules as French, Spanich and Portuguese. They share rules, such as, car red.

The three languages ASL shares, however, are hearing languages. In what ways do the syntax rules for ASL differ from these spoken languages?

Ann Neufeld001

Back to top Go down

asl SYNTAX Empty Re: asl SYNTAX

Post  Emily C. McLaury Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 pm

That is a good point Ann. In French (can't speak for the others), the topic goes first and then the comment. However, similar to English, French uses words such as it, the, is. Completely different from ASL however, the French language has masculine and feminine words. Example- in ASL car is car, in French car is feminine, thus spoken as "la voiture". As ASL is primarily devised from French it is interesting this was never adopted.
Emily C. McLaury
Emily C. McLaury

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Treviño Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Ann, I'm not sure which three languages you're referring to that you say ASL shares. I'd also like to point out that languages are neither "hearing" nor "Deaf" (although the people who typically use them may be). Don't forget that there are deaf people who are fluent speakers of spoken languages and there are hearing people who are fluent (and even native) users of signed languages. I hate to be nit-picky, but it's better that I quash these misnomers here in this safe environment, rather than it pop up in your (and I'm speaking to all of you) professional work elsewhere.

Also, ASL is said to derive from French Sign Language ("LSF"), not from French (note the difference).

Finally, I'm glad that you all are comparing and contrasting ASL with other languages. This is a similar exercise to what you all have to do for your research papers. Well done!
Rafael Treviño
Rafael Treviño
Admin

https://asl2400.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down