MDCN ASL2400 Spring 2013
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clarification On Imperatives

4 posters

Go down

Clarification On Imperatives Empty Clarification On Imperatives

Post  Giliane Forsyth Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 am

On page 95 it states, "In ASL, imperatives have particular non-manual signals, including making direct eye contact with the person being talked to and possibly frowning." Afterwards the book presents an example of *SIT. Although I understand the concept of imperatives, I wonder if this varies in ASL. For example, are there any imperatives that require a specific non-manual marker, other than making eye contact? Furthermore, are there any common imperatives in ASL other than *SIT? Lastly, with the use of an asterisk, could anything be glossed as an imperative?
Giliane Forsyth
Giliane Forsyth

Back to top Go down

Clarification On Imperatives Empty Imperatives

Post  Adais Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 am

I think we can always imply whether or not an order is imperative by the context, sometimes, the signer might add some signs that reflect the imperative nature of a command as: "must or need". Other common imperatives in ASL could be : go, obey, and come. I actually made some research on the subject. For example, I learned that some of the syntactic features of the imperative verbs could be the emphasis on speed, and the heavy, accentuated signing. These are features that we normally display naturally but they significantly add meaning to the signs. Some non-manual markings could be: a wrinkled nose or an inclined head. For more information, go to www.purdue.edu.

Adais

Back to top Go down

Clarification On Imperatives Empty imperatives being stressed

Post  Ann Neufeld001 Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Sometime something is emphasized by linking a sign with finger spelling. A Deaf mother when angry, for example, may fingerspell her son's entire name,
"M-A-R-C-U-S A-L-B-E-R-T W-A-S-H-I-N-G-T-O-N COME-HERE!" That poor child better run away from home!

Ann Neufeld001

Back to top Go down

Clarification On Imperatives Empty Re: Clarification On Imperatives

Post  Rafael Treviño Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:10 pm

The direct eye contact with the person you're speaking to is what makes the statement you're making a command. Also, note that you do NOT make the pronoun (YOU) explicit.

For example:

(1) EAT YOUR FOOD [direct eye contact], means, "Eat your food."

(2) YOU EAT YOUR FOOD [direct eye contact], is a statement (declarative sentence) meaning simply, "You eat your food," which is just an atypical statement to make about someone's eating habits.

Also, consider this other construction:

(3) EAT YOUR FOOD [no eye contact], is confusing in ASL. The person you're speaking with would wonder, "Who ate my food?"
Rafael Treviño
Rafael Treviño
Admin

https://asl2400.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Clarification On Imperatives Empty Re: Clarification On Imperatives

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum