Syntax/Universal Grammar

Go down

Syntax/Universal Grammar

Post  Ledia Brenes on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 am

I had a hard time following the supplemental chapter which were all English examples and that "among languages certain commonalities with the respect to the manner in which sentences are formed" to be able to apply it to ASL. Did anyone else fare any better and be able to shed some light on any of the examples given in the book?

Ledia Brenes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Syntax/Universal Grammar

Post  angelacash on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm

I am sure about one commonality for when it relates to UG with ASL in english. On page 92 it explains with yes-no questions in English the voice usually rises at the end of the question and with ASL NMM are usually exhibited with the eyebrows raised and and eyes widened similar to the inflection of the tone. There are other similarities with the sentence stucture and facial expression that is provided with more detail in the Unit 15 when explains the basic sentence types.

angelacash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Treviño on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 am

I'll concede that the supplemental reading was a bit much. But to answer your question, one of the syntactical similarities between English and ASL is the structure of sentences in the active voice: Subject + Verb + Object.

I WASH CLOTHES FINISH ("I washed the clothes").
Rafael Treviño
Admin

View user profile http://asl2400.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum