comparing non-manuel markers with facial expression

Go down

comparing non-manuel markers with facial expression

Post  Ann Neufeld001 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:18 pm

I am looking at ASL and facial expressions that do not include non-manuel markers.

How can these really be separated? Can you really look at facial expressions by themselves?

Ann Neufeld001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Comparing Non-Manual Markers with Facial Expression

Post  Evelyn Gutierrez on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 pm

In page 97, the second paragraph informs the reader that in ASL, non-manual signals, and not the signs, determine the sentence type. In my opinion, it's important to combine non-manual markers and facial expressions. Facial expressions can deliver a message without non-manual markers but when you combine both then you are delivering a meaning behind the message. For instances, HAPPY YOU? The facial expression would be a smile and the non-manual marker would be yes/no question with your eyebrows up. I think both should be used when you are signing to someone else.

Evelyn Gutierrez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: comparing non-manuel markers with facial expression

Post  melissamarch on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:03 pm

NMM (non-manual markers) *include* facial expressions. As found on the link http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/nonmanualmarkers.htm:

"Nonmanual markers consist of the various facial expressions, head tilting, shoulder raising, mouthing, and similar signals that we add to our hand signs to create meaning...." My understanding is that facial expressions are a part of the main category of NMM .. A facial expression is a NMM. They cannot be seperated from each other since one is a sub-category of the other.

They then go onto say as one example of how NMM can be used..."Speakers of English tend to inflect their voices to indicate they are asking a question. Signers of ASL also inflect their questions, but instead of using voice inflection they use non-manual markers."
melissamarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaleena Arca on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:33 pm

I think you can look at it both ways: as a description with gestures, and as a nmm. You can't separate the two because NMM includes facial expression.

Kaleena Arca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Treviño on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:07 pm

To summarize what you all have satisfactorily discovered: All non-manual markers are facial expressions, but not all facial expressions are non-manual markers.

And here's an example of how to tell the difference: I can make a "happy" expression with my face, but this does not necessarily provide any grammatical information, neither for hearing nor deaf people. Emphasis on "grammatical information."
Rafael Treviño
Admin

View user profile http://asl2400.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum