Conditionals

Go down

Conditionals

Post  Evelyn Gutierrez on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:04 am

In page 96, the book informs the reader that sentences with conditionals express an if-then situation. Now the word "IF" is not included in the example "TOMORROW RAIN, GAME CANCEL", so I am wondering do you need to include the sign "IF" to illustrate that the ASL sentence is conditional? I need clarification on this section because I am confuse about conditional.

Evelyn Gutierrez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Conditional If

Post  Ann Neufeld001 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 pm

In ASL 3 I remember learning ways to deal with the conditional.

Example: "TOMORROW RAIN, GAME CANCEL"

Ways this can be done, with and without the IF word:

TOMORROW RAIN, HAPPEN GAME CANCEL

TOMORROW RAIN, PROBLEM, GAME CANCEL

TOMORROW RAIN, WRONG GAME CANCEL

GAME TOMORROW IF RAIN GAME CANCEL

GAME TOMORROW PROBLEM RAIN, GAME CANCEL

Ann Neufeld001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Conditionals

Post  melissamarch on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:16 pm

No #IF is needed to make this sentence conditional, nor is any additional lexical production needed (although Anne did a great job of listing various ways to express this sentence's meaning by adding an additional lexical items as seen below).

On page 96, they give examples of nonmanual signals used for conditionals such as "raised eyebrows, a head tilt, and possibly a short pause. If the nonmanuals are used, the phrase is conditional, with or without the use of particular signs."

So for example,
TOMORROW RAIN GAME CANCELLED

One way to express this is for your eyebrows to go up on TOMORROW RAIN, plus slightly leaning forward with your body, then a slight pause, then the eyebrows going down and the body leaning back to a neutral position while signing GAME CANCELLED.

If this is not clear, I promise to sign what is in my head, upon request before class Smile
melissamarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kristen Tynan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Great use of examples ann and melissa. I do agree with melissa that there is no need for the sign "IF". The raising of the eyebrows at the end of a statement is considered the outcome of the statement. The frowning of the eyebrows at the beginning of the statement represent the event that took place. No one is telling you that you HAVE to sign "IF", but if you want to make sure you are clear with the person you are conversing with, then do what makes you feel comfortable.
Kristen Tynan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily C. McLaury on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 pm

I agree that the sign if is not needed in a sentence when making a condition. As long as the condition of what would happen appears in the sentence as well as the raised eyebrows, IF is not necessary. As Kristen said, if you want to make sure you are absolutely clearly, throw in the #if, or suppose sign.
There is also the question of when it should be used. I think that if you are interpreting with a frozen or formal register, again for clarity, IF should be used.
Emily C. McLaury

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Treviño on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Excellent work on clarifying this question, everyone!
Rafael Treviño
Admin

View user profile http://asl2400.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum